Communication Enhancement Group
The Communication Enhancement Group is designed for former adult patients with aphasia, dysarthria, and/or apraxia, who would like to continue to work on their speech and communication skills. The group provides opportunities for members to interact with their peers, to collaborate and form friendships, and to communicate feelings in a comfortable and non-stressful environment. The group is facilitated by a licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologist.
If you would like more information or to be enrolled in the Communication Enhancement Group, please contact our speech department at (203) 384-8681.
Fluency Group/Communication-Support Group
Based on community interest, we have started offering a communication-support group for individuals who stutter. The group is geared towards individuals who have participated in or “graduated” from individual speech therapy services and are interested in the fine tuning and generalization of their target skills while providing and receiving successful strategies and support from others.
Each group is facilitated by an experienced and certified Speech-Language Pathologist and will focus on:
- Discussing individual strengths and challenges
- Problem solving for difficult speaking situations
- Exploring feelings and attitudes
- Promoting acceptance and teamwork
- Mentoring and confidence building
- Supporting peers by encouraging practice of target skills and communication strategies within the group setting
For more information, or to enroll, contact our speech department at: (203) 384-8681 or E.Ulreich@RehabAssocInc.com.
Tongue-Thrust Program/Myofunctional Therapy
Our speech-language pathologists at Rehabilitation Associates, Inc. offer a short-term, very intensive, and very successful program to eliminate tongue thrust for swallowing, a critical piece for improving orthodontic development and in many cases for improving the outcomes for orthodontic work (correcting the function as well as the structure).
This program includes:
- The evaluation of swallowing patterns and sound productions
- Approximately 5 to 6 additional treatment sessions
- A very structured home exercise program consisting of daily exercises to increase awareness of tongue position, correct resting tongue position and tongue position during swallowing.
- The program can easily be completed with most five or six year olds (or older) and can also incorporate sound productions if speech is impaired. (Note: programs including sound remediation may need to be extended in length based upon extent or errors and stimulability)
If you have any questions or would like more information about this program, please contact our speech department at (203) 384-8681 or H.Oberhand@RehabAssocInc.com.
Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) BIG and LOUD Therapy Programs
LSVT ® and LSVT LOUD ® are intensive and effective, research-based treatment programs targeted at helping people with Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological conditions move and speak better to enhance their daily activities and improve their overall quality of life.
At Rehabilitation Associates, Inc., we have both physical therapists and speech-language pathologists specifically certified in the evaluation and treatment using the LSVT BIG ® and LSVT LOUD ® programs.
All candidates for the program will receive a comprehensive evaluation to determine their specific needs and candidacy for this program. If appropriate, one or both programs may be recommended.
For LSVT LOUD ®, the focus of the program is simple and straightforward, however, the impact is global. Improvements can be seen with vocal volume (loudness), clarity of speech, respiration, posture, pitch variation, facial expression, and swallowing.
LSVT BIG ® is a newer program that stemmed from the same principles and successes of the LSVT LOUD ® program. The program is similar in its single focus to impact global changes. Improvements can be seen with size of movement, speed of movement, balance, gait, posture, and overall quality of life.